Sunday, January 19, 2014

Darlene's Retirement Quilt

In my other life, I am a Kindergarten teacher at a really nice elementary school.  It is a great school with a wonderful group of teachers.  Part of the reason it is such a nice school to teach at is our principal, Darlene.  She has been at our school for fourteen years and this month, she is retiring to the beach in Florida.  We are all sad to see her go.

My friend, Lesli, came to me and asked if I would help make a quilt for Darlene.

Of course I said yes.  

Lesli came over a few times and together we got it made.  The staff all signed the back.  We had to chase some of them down but most of the teachers signed it.  I added a few fish and a few crabs to spice it up a bit.   The words were from a book (She) and we printed them onto iron on printer paper (which I do not recommend!  It is not easy to work with and it cannot be ironed.  Not fun.). 

I quilted it with some waves and Lesli put the scrappy binding on.  We gave it to her at her retirement party Thursday night (which was fun!).  Darlene said she has a place in mind at her new beach house.





I used the two beige critters for our quilt label.

Best of luck to you in Florida!!!


Linking up to:

IMG_6373

Fresh Poppy Design